WELCOME! I’M GLAD YOU’RE HERE.
I’m a writer, a reader, and a laugh-out-louder. I’m a truth-teller, a swearer, and a kindness monger; I’m mouthy and broken and strong and brave, usually all at the same time. I rarely know what I’m doing, but I’m learning that’s not a prerequisite for this magical, messy life.
I’m also a mother of five. I never planned to be a mother of five. Not ever. Greg and I were going to have two kids. Maybe three. But life is funny and things don’t always go according to plan. That’s OK; plans are for reasonable people and it turns out we’re totally ridiculous.
This picture, for example? I’m in a chicken coop. Standing in chicken poop. Which exemplifies our life, really, because we can kind of pull off looking like we’ve got it together, but we’re also ankle deep in crap.
The trick is learning to find the magic in the mess and the wonder in the wild. If that’s what you’re looking for — weird truth-telling, a whole lot of laughing through the muck, and an entire Village of like-minded friends, you’ve come to the right place.
Ultimately, I’m here for you: to provide the comic relief, the grimy truth, and the sweet reality of a life lived off course from what was, once, a perfectly good plan.
Because if life can’t be easy, at least it’s awesome.
You know, eventually.
Welcome to the mess!
P.S. This blog used to be all about parenting our five kids — Five Kids Is A Lot Of Kids, friends — but only ostensibly. In reality, it was always about learning to live fully and authentically, even when life throws stuff at you you never saw coming. That said, many posts revolve around Abby, Ian, Aden, Cai and Cael; the first adopted (turns out, fraudulently ) from Vietnam at 9 weeks, the next two (who experience disability) adopted from Guatemala at 3 years and 15 months respectively, and the final two, our biological twins, created in a moment of weakness. I blame Cai and Cael’s matchy-matchy twin-names on lack of sufficient prep time and the fact that I choke under pressure. And that’s it. Just the 5 kids.
P.P.S. If you’re new, WELCOME. You can always begin reading with these favorites. And if you’re curious why people read here, these are some of the unreasonably kind things people had to say:
- You capture the mom experience with all its pathos and humor!
- After reading your blog, I feel like I’ve just had a good laugh with a girlfriend.
- I read this blog because it makes me feel like I’m not alone. I appreciate your complete honesty on topics that I’d probably lie about!
- Because kids basically have a knack for making us question our sanity. And it’s great to know we’re not completely wrong at this parenting thing; and if we are, we’re not the only ones! We’re in great company.
- Your blog is hysterical, and I relate to it so much that sometimes it feels like you’re writing about me.
- You are authentic and genuine; you share things that a lot of moms deal with but just don’t admit or talk about. You have a fresh approach and optimistic look at life and it is refreshing.
- It is comedic and real. I’m not a mom, but I often find connections to my own life in your stories.
- I love your blog! It usually makes me laugh. I love that you can find such great humor in the craziness of raising 5 kids. And it makes me feel less alone when my kids do crazy things. Oh, and it makes me feel even more grateful we stopped at 3.
- I greatly enjoy the tone of your posts, and the “message” that you constantly are putting forth, which I would describe as “Family, it’s why we’re here.”
- I’m your dad… and Mom makes me.
No matter how you ended up here, I’m glad to have you along on this often-bumpy, always-entertaining journey.
P.P.P.S. The very best way to stay up to date around here is to join my email list. We’ll be in direct communication, and you’ll receive content like “The Day I Peed My Office” — a story exclusive to email. Scroll to the bottom of this page for details.
P.O. Box 182
Newberg, OR 97132